VILLAGE OF ELMWOOD PARK
11 Conti Parkway, Elmwood Park, IL 60707
708-452-3942, 3948 or 3920 * FAX 708-453-8816
CONTRACTOR LICENSING & PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
FOR GENERAL CONTRACTOR’S SUB-CONTRACTORS:
1. Complete contractor’s license application form in full.
2. Submit certificate of insurance for $1,000,000.00 general aggregate/liability naming the Village of Elmwood Park as certificate holder showing our complete address. Do not additionally insure. Demolition contractors require $5,000,000.00 general aggregate (with the exception of demolition of single-family homes and garages). Plumbers, Sewer, Demolition, Excavator and oil Boring contractors require a $10,000.00 bond.
3. Plumbers, Roofers & Alarm Installers need to submit a copy of their State License. Electricians need to provide a copy of their place of registration. Plumbers, Electricians & Roofers also need to submit photo identification.
4. Payment of license fee in the sum of $100.00 (excluding plumbers that are State licensed). Upon Board approval, a Village of Elmwood Park license will be mailed to the contractor. (If all requirements are met prior to the formal approval, the contractor will be allowed to start work providing all permits have been approved, and all sub-contractors named have met the same aforementioned requirements.
• Plumbers & Alarm Installers licensed with the State of Illinois need only to complete a contactors license and permit application along with submitting proof of State licensing, a copy of insurance and/or bond if available & a copy of the signed contract.
NOTE TO CONTRACTORS AND HOMEOWNERS WITH BUSINESSES
LOCATED IN THE VILLAGE ELMWOOD PARK:
In accordance with Village Ordinance 1406.01, a local Business License is also required whether it’s a_ store front business or an occupation operated from the home. Please visit the Collections Department of Village Hall to obtain the necessary paperwork and pay the Business License fee of $75.00.
The Village of Ehnwood Park follows current International Building (IBC), Fire, HVAC & Residential Codes and current National Electrical Code (NBC) & State of Illinois’s Plumbing Code.
1. Fulfill all of the aforementioned requirements.
2. Submit copy of signed contract of work to be performed.
3. Complete applicable permit(s): Building, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC
4. Submit four (4) sets of architectural stamped plans, and plat of survey (when required).
5. Await Building commissioner’s permit approval.
ALL PERMITS MUST BE OBTAINED & PAID IN FULL PRIOR TO ANY WORK STARTED
HOMEOWNERS (DOING OWN WORK):
1. Follow items 3 and 4 above
2. Homeowner is required to sign a Hold Harmless document.
3. Await Building commissioner’s permit approval.
Most permits are issued within one week, but some permit approvals can take approximately 1-3 weeks depending on the scope of work being performed. Once the permit(s) have been approved, the Building department will notify the contractor/homeowner. No permits will be released until all requirements are met and homeowner’s water bill is current. Permits are to be paid in full & the placard displayed at the property in clear view from the street. Inspections are required allowing two (2) working days lead-time.
All demolitions of any kind require a permit. If property is suspect of any environmental problems (underground tanks, contaminated soil, etc.), a release from the appropriate State and/or Federal agency will be required.